Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Why Should Spinners Have All the Fun?

I had BB roving, too, and I was feeling sorry for all the knitters who don't spin and can only gaze longingly at the stuff. (O.k., I was also feeling sorry for myself, who has no time to spin right now.) Then I remembered some article somewhere about knitting with unspun roving, and went to town.

My roving, Juniper, was about 4 yards long. If I split it in half, I'd have 8 yards; in quarters, 16 yards; and so forth. 32 yards isn't enough to knit a hat, and 64 is a very close call. (There's a hat in Colinette Point 5 that only uses one skein, which is about 60 yards, but I was scared.) 128 yards is enough to knit a hat, if the gauge is 4 sts per inch or thicker.

So I started to split the roving. I put one half aside and subdivided the other repeatedly. As I finished each split, I'd roll each strip into a very loose ball. I got 16 cute little balls of fluff.

I cast on at the top of the hat and started in:

It works! This is a US #13 needle, at about 2.5 sts per inch.

This is what the balls of fluff look like:


I'm figuring on a wide ribbed cuff. The best thing is that I'm only on my 5th ball of roving: not only do I have plenty of wool, I might have enough for a second hat! (Or mittens maybe?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is just not fair.

Is it within the rules to bypass the spinning phase if you start with roving.

It annoys the hell out of me how great that fabric looks.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Cool! I may have to try that...

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home