Saturday, August 26, 2006

My Bunny Hop Sock

Here is the lovely Black Bunny sock yarn I bought in the Spice Cabinet colorway:
IMG_0467

This is my very first sock, so I chose Yarn Harlot's generic sock recipe from Knitting Rules. I wanted to focus on learning technique rather than distract myself with some stitch pattern I had to pay attention to. It took a little concentration, but I turned out the first sock pretty fast:
IMG_0556
But I need some help from you sock experts. In the picture, do you see the line running down the right side? That's where two needles came together and I'm bummed that you can see that in the stitches. How do I correct for that?


Here is the side view:
IMG_0558 There's the same line running down the center, plus a HOLE at the corner of the heel flap. Help!

The one thing I learned from this sock was: believe the pattern. YH specifies to cast on 64 stitches. That sounded too small to be so I cast on 76. But she was right, because the sock is a little loose. For the second sock, I will cast on the 64 stitches.

So chime in and tell me how to fix that line thingy in this next sock!

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

The problem you're having is called "ladders." Here's what the Sock Knitters Homepage says:

Q: How do I avoid ladders?



A: Ladders occur because there is a difference in the tension you use on the yarn at the point where you switch needles. For most people, the yarn is being held too loosely here but for others, it is being pulled too tight. The good news is that most ladders disappear after washing and drying. To prevent them, there are a couple of techniques you can use:



1. Keep an even tension on the yarn until you knit the second st on the new needle

2. Start the new needle either in front of instead of behind the old needle or vice versa (in back if you were starting it in front)

3. Use st markers to delineate your end of rnd and knit a st or two more on each needle as you go around, e.g. if you have 16 sts on each needle, knit 17 or 18 on the first needle of the rnd, and then knit 16 before you move to the next needle. This distributes the unevenness and makes it less noticeable.



Practice ultimately makes it all go away!

There's a link to the Sock Knitters Homepage on my blog under Sock it to Me.

First sock looks great, good luck with the second.

Wendy

2:28 PM  
Blogger Knittah said...

Thanks Wendy! This is exactly what I needed.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I personally found that when I switched to the two-circular method, I was able to eliminate the laddering. I don't want to start a whole dpns vs. circulars debate -- it's whatever you're comfortable with -- but if you haven't tried one or two different techniques, like 2 circs or magic loop, you might give it a go to see if a different method works better for you.

Gorgeous job on that sock! It's very exciting for me to see it knit up.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Knittah said...

Carol, I just want to give you a big pat on the back for your wonderful yarns. I really enjoyed working this sock, and bought two more skeins of sock yarn at Rosie's the other day. (woohoo! my first trip to Rosie's!) I wish you great success, and want to spread the Bunny word!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

For those holes in the gusset, may I suggest this pick up method:

http://tinyurl.com/l5l8p

Frankly I don't love knitting the flap heel. There are al ot of heels out there to try.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home