Wednesday, October 11, 2006

progress: the stash gets bigger, not smaller

Rewind: I had just finished socks in BBF the week this KAL started, and I'm working on my second BBF project. I'm the one knitting the "Stump Cozy Pajama Shorts" (I'm an amputee, and my residual limb gets reallllly cold at night). The socks and the cozy were both previously blogged about here.

Update: I've finished the left (regular) leg. The right leg's front panel is also complete from the waist down to the inseam and was just put on waste yarn. I've cast-on for the right back panel, and once that is knit up, the whole thing will be seamed up, waist to crotch. The unfinished right leg's live stitches will then come off the waste yarn, and the lower portion of the right leg (the amputated leg side) will be knitted in the round and decreased, almost like a hat--and that's what will keep my shorty-leg warm and toasty! Then I'll go back up to the waist, pick up the provisional cast-on, and work up some sort of waistband.



This knit has been slow going. I've never designed a garment before and I find that I get like a deer in the headlights whenever I am faced with a design descision (The hem: picot? garter stitch? folded?...The waist: elastic? drawstring?...The cozy decreases: linear? swirly? patterned?...Should I put in a gusset?...stuff like that). The project stalls for a few days every time there is a new point to ponder.

It's also slow going because I keep taking it off the needles and putting it onto waste yarn, pinning it together, and trying it on to check for fit (definitely not a carry along project).
The reward, however, is that it fits like a glove...and it shall make my butt look good ;-)
-------------------------------

Meanwhile, the BBF stash does NOT decrease as I knit. Ohhh, no. It gets bigger. I'm beginning to think that Carol's choice of the word "Bunny" in her business title had nothing to do with Charcoal, but rather was mojo to make her customer's stash multiply ;-)

A couple of weeks ago, Mexican Sunflower, a gorgeous laceweight merino arrived....



I'm leafing through patterns, and I think I've decided on Evelyn Clark's Swallowtail Shawl (Interweave Knits, Fall '06). I'm a little nervous, as I've never worked a lace pattern that has lace activity on the backside, but I am confident that I shall prevail.

Carol also sent me a sample of a tweedy sort of fingering weight she is testing, so I swatched it for her and returned my feedback. This Kelly Green BBF will more than likely become a scarf of a kid's hat.




So great.
I now have both a Latin and an Irish bunny frolicking amongst my stash.
Who knows how many bunny babies will be there the next time I check ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Sherry W said...

Ohhh, I want that laceweight!!

I've noticed the bunny-like multiplication on my stash too.

I love the idea for the stump cozy PJ's. Keep us tuned how they work out for you.

1:53 PM  
Blogger mindy said...

What's the color for your jammie bottoms? They are going to be so awesome!

9:53 AM  
Blogger MsAmpuTeeHee said...

She named the colorway "Purple Pansies". And it's gorgeous. If you click the link to the original post, there's a better shot of the variegation in a close-up of a swatch.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Elysbeth said...

Cultural Diversity is a beautiful thing. You could send the Latina bunny to me and avoid some multiplication. (okay, stop laughing now)

Good luck with the PJ's. Nothing fits better than custom made clothing.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swallowtail is patterned on the RS only- the lily of the valley chart with the nupps (bobbles) has you purl the 5 in 1 stitches together on the WS, but I didn't do that. I just made my nupps by passing the stitches over the last one. It is a VERY easy pattern .....and beautiful. It is on the small side. Go for it!.......Marilyn

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home