Wednesday, August 30, 2006

How BBF works.....(i.e., how to score yarn)

Thank you, everyone, for your interest in my yarns. Don't worry -- I'm dyeing continuously; even as I write this, skeins are drying. I do everything myself and I do each skein by hand, so it takes a little longer to get on the market, so to speak. Here's how it works:

I list yarns as I finish them (meaning as they are dyed, dried, reskeined and photographed), on an on-going basis. I'm a stay-at-home mom with three kids, so I work around them. There's always something or other in the dyepot and usually a number of skeins at different stages of the process. Right now, I'm dyeing as fast as I can, several skeins or more per day. Each day, I'll list whatever is done: usually 3 or 4 new skeins, sometimes more, occasionally less. I list them when I get a chance, i.e., when my kids are (temporarily) occupied or asleep. If you check in and don't see anything, check back later in the day, or the next. For my Etsy shop, I regularly dye laceweight skeins of 880 yds/100g, and sock yarn in 4 oz/400+ yd batches (wool/nylon blend, and superwash merino). I also dye 4 ounce batches of roving on a regular basis. I do occasionally dye other things, as I can get them wholesale or find them at fiber festivals. I do some worsted weight yarns, for example, and sometimes some bulkier weights. I sometimes do larger batches of laceweight, too. If I can find good quality, well-priced yarn from small producers or farms, I also offer that.

In addition, I sell yarns via Rosie's Yarn Cellar (215-977-9276). I stock the small laceweight skeins, wool-nylon sock yarn and rovings there. I also stock two yarns that I do not sell on my Etsy site: a bulky weight wool (about 3.5 to 4 sts per inch) and a superwash DK merino (5.5 sts to the inch). I'll be adding some miniloop boucle this weekend, also available only via Rosie's. Because stock changes quickly, and each batch is unique, these yarns aren't sold via the Rosie's website. Call them and ask what they have and they can hook you up with whatever's in stock.

I'm at the point where it's not feasible for me to do special orders unless you can wait a while to get them. But don't panic! The Hop-along won't end anytime soon, and I'll keep dyeing, dyeing, dyeing (and winding, winding, winding). Hope that helps answer some of your questions!

And thank you, sincerely and from the bottom of my heart, for responding so enthusiastically to my yarns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home